These resources, in English and Arabic (or Arabic only, as indicated) are designed to help newcomers feel more informed about various aspects of settling into life in Canada. For guides available in both languages, it can be helpful to sit down with newcomers and go through these guides at the same time (sponsoring/supporting group in Arabic, newcomers in English).
ENGLISH AND ARABIC
- Your First Two Weeks in Canada: Videos from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in English and Arabic.
- NewtoBC Resources for Newcomers to Canada: A comprehensive source of guides and tools to assist immigrants and refugees to settle in their new communities and workplaces. (Find the English version here and the Arabic version here).
- Welcome to Canada: What you Should Know: A Guide from the Canadian Government in English and Arabic.
- An excellent list of English-Language learning Resources (apps, programs, etc.) for Arabic-speakers learning English, compiled by Refugees Belong.
- Tips on recipes, cultural appropriate food, stocking a pantry for a Syrian family, etc.
- Eating Well With Canada’s Food Guide: In English and Arabic at this link.
- Vaccination Guide: Public Health Agency of Canada’s guide to vaccinations in English and Arabic.
- Taking Care of You and Your Baby: A Parent’s Guide from the Canadian Public Health Assocation in English and Arabic.
- Information on Workers’ Rights in a variety of languages, including English and Arabic
- Videos in a variety of languages on how Canada’s Tax System Works.
- Bullying: We Can All Help Stop It
- Daily Attendance at School
- For Our Kids – Video
- Full-Day Kindergarten: A Question and Answer Guide for Parents
- High School Courses and Choices
- If Your Child has Medical Conditions or Special Needs
- New Moves: An Orientation Video for Newcomer Students
- Parent Teacher Interviews (Elementary School) – Video
- Parent-Teacher Interviews
- Parent-Teacher Interviews (Secondary School) – Video
- Safe and Welcoming Schools
- School Communication with Parents
- Solving Problems at School
- Special Education
- Starting School
- Student Success Program
- The School Code of Conduct
- When Children Speak More Than One Language
- Your Guide to Registered Education Savings Plans
(Created by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), and linked by Refugees Belong)
- Renting your first home; what newcomers need to know
- Signing a lease
- Keeping your home in good condition
- Checking out a home or apartment
- How to find and rent a home if you have a large family
- Paying the rent – what’s included
- Understanding ‘for rent’ ads
- Newcomer’s Guide to Canadian Housing — How to Find, Rent or Buy a Home in Canada
- “Smart Saver” RESP information in Arabic: A guide for Arabic-speaking newcomers to help them begin to understand how to access and save for an RESP.
- Scotiabank: Banking in Canada video
- Private Sponsorship of Refugees: Information on the process of Private Sponsoring. Great for newcomers who are interested in getting involved in the process of helping to bring family members over.